Sunday, September 1, 2013

"Chicago Style" pizza in Sweden

I think this sets some sort of record for the shortest time between posts.   When I finished up the last post, reminiscing about some of my favorite foods from back in Chicago, I developed a huge craving for pizza!  And, to be honest, the pizza joints here are pretty ho-hum, so I generally make my own anyway.  But this time I searched for an authentic Chicago style recipe with a think, flaky crust (think Lou Malnati's) and found a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.  I have used many of their recipes since moving here, so decided to give theirs a try.

You can (and should) Google the recipe....but here are the highlights.   They have a cool trick for the buttery, flaky crust....after the first rise, roll out the dough and spread it with butter (no, I'm not kidding).  Then roll it up.

Seems strange, but who am I to argue?
Then you flatten out the rolled up dough, cut it in half and allow each half to rise again.   While you're waiting, it's time to make the sauce...super thick, with garlic, basil and big chunks of tomato.

Quick and easy!
Now it's time to put it all together.  I didn't have a large pizza pan, so I used two round cake pans instead.  First, I put down the crust, then the cheese (yes...cheese first!), then the sauce.  I forgot to add the pepperoni with the cheese, so I had to throw it on top...better late than never.  Bake for about 30 minutes...while praying that these pizzas will taste as good as they look...and voila!

Please, PLEASE taste good....
So how was it?   I will let the next few photos speak for themselves...

One smiling face!
Two smiling faces!
Two empty pans (the hubby also gave it a thumbs up!)
So my craving for thick Chicago pizza has been satisfied.  It took a bit of time, but was completely worth it.  Thanks again, America's Test Kitchen!  Now back to my regularly scheduled food coma...

No comments:

Post a Comment