Monday, November 12, 2012

Party like a Swede!

Before I begin, I have to provide the caveat that we have not become full blown social butterflies with jam packed weekend activities!   However, we have been to several parties or dinner "get-togethers" while in Sweden and it seems that they are a bit different from what we have experienced back in the U.S.

I was recently reminded that Sweden isn't all about wearing rain pants and sensible shoes and spending quiet evenings at home.   A couple of weeks back, we were invited to a party for a friend of ours (I believe we were celebrating her 29th birthday!).   Not knowing the dress code for this type of thing, I asked the birthday girl what she would be wearing.  She said she would be wearing black "trousers" and a black blouse.   With that information in mind, I decided to wear a casual dress, hoping that I wouldn't be too dressed up.  I even put on a pair of boots with HEELS....wearing heels is a rare occurrence for me since I arrived here seven months ago.  When attending a party or dinner at the home of friends, one typically removes her shoes at the door (so I often do not bother with the sassy footwear!)

It's fun to wear some sassy boots for a change!
Boy was I glad that I decided on a dress!   When I surveyed the room upon our arrival, I realized that there was NO chance that I would be overdressed!  All of the women were looking quite fancy....most wearing dresses and one even sporting fabulous silver sequined pants (this woman could pull off that look...some of us, myself included, would not have fared so well!)   It also appeared that high heels were mandatory.  The men were no slouches, either.  I am fairly certain that every guy in the room was wearing a sport coat, a few were even wearing ties.   As serious as the Swedes are with their functional weekday garb (remember the favorite saying here... "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing"), they seem to kick it up a notch when the weekend arrives.  Even when we have had dinner at friends' homes (for no special occasion), the average ensemble is a step up from the norm in the U.S.  My husband made an interesting comment on this,  "The Swedes are more likely to dress up for their friends than their job".   Based on what I have seen from the workplace dress code, this seemed to be an accurate observation.

A good representation of party fashion!
Beyond the snazzy attire,  I noticed another difference from the usual "get together" in the U.S.   Upon arrival, most (if not all) of the guests made the rounds and greeted all of the other guests.  Granted, many of them have known each other for years, but most even walked over to introduce themselves to my husband and me (maybe they were just curious about the new "American kids" at the party!).  Even at smaller gatherings, it seems expected that you will introduce yourself to everyone when you enter the room.  In contrast, my experience in the U.S. is that we make a bee-line for the people we know and hang out with them.  Again, just my general observations so far....no offense to my American friends who are "expert" minglers!
I don't think they make these in Swedish- maybe that explains things!
Another way this party encouraged mingling was by assigning seats (yes...there was a card telling me EXACTLY where to sit).  In the U.S., I have only experienced assigned "tables" at weddings!   This was definitely something new.   To make things even more interesting, you were not seated next to your spouse.  Yes, my hubby was sitting at the same table, but it was so loud that all we could do was occasionally wave to each other during dinner.   I understand that it is not uncommon to split up married folks at events such as this to encourage us to talk to new people (I did read somewhere that the engaged couples get to sit next to each other...maybe it's too risky to split them up).  Luckily I had one of our good friends seated on one side and another nice English speaking Swede on the other (his wife was actually sitting next to my husband...one might wonder what kind of parties they have here in Sweden!).

The hubby and his "dates"
After dinner, there was also some karaoke and dancing (FYI- this has not been the "norm" at smaller Swedish parties!).   Unfortunately, I had not anticipated that the party would last until the wee hours, so I had to return home at a reasonable time....midnight....so I could send our babysitters home.

Hurry!  My carriage is about to turn back into a pumpkin!
So that concludes my observations on social gatherings thus far.  People tend to dress up a bit more for parties here (big or small) and there may be mandatory mingling.   However, some things (thankfully) are the same in Sweden as they are in the U.S.A.- thank goodness for that !

Cheers!!  Or should I say "Skål"?


No comments:

Post a Comment