Thursday, June 5, 2014

My "Job" at Galleri Flood

For the past few months, I have been helping out at an art gallery on the outskirts of Sandefjord.  Me...working at an art gallery?  Those that know me are probably scratching their heads...maybe thinking that nothing about that sounds logical...just try to stay with me!  Several months ago, a friend of a friend had mentioned that the owner of this gallery, Maja Flood, was looking for someone to help her prepare for an upcoming exhibit.  The discussion was mostly in Norwegian, so I was doing a lot of nodding and smiling...not completely understanding what this work would entail or if I was remotely qualified to help.  Out of curiosity, a few days later I drove out to meet Maja at Galleri Flood.

View from the gallery...certainly a great work environment!
Following our discussion in a mix of Norwegian and English, I understood that (if I would like) I could come in once or twice a week and support Maja with various things in the gallery...arranging the displays, helping with some of the ceramics (the less "mission critical" steps), among other things.  In return, I could learn a bit about how a lump of clay transforms into something beautiful...and even attempt to make some things myself.  Coming from someone that does not consider herself artistic, I thought this could be quite an interesting experience and agreed to start the following week.

Maja's specialties (from what I have seen) are working with ceramics and porcelain.  It is really inspiring to watch someone who finds such joy in her work.

Doing what she loves!
Some of the finished products

Maja also makes some special porcelain pieces inspired by a painting called "Vinternatt i Rondane/Winter Night in the Mountains" by Harald Solberg (1869-1935).

The inspiration...
Watching her create these special pieces helped me to truly appreciate how much time and effort goes into each and every one. On a couple of occasions, I helped make the mountains that Maja would place on the bowls and coffee cups.   Granted, I am not exactly a professional (huge understatement) but it took quite a bit of time for me to do what (seemingly) was a minor part of the project.

My work area... 
Maja's finished product
As I mentioned earlier, I have the opportunity to work on some things of my own.  Maja encourages me quite a bit, even though I am a bit reluctant to put my lack of artistic ability out there for others to see!   In spite of my clear lack of natural talent, I have had a lot of fun trying to create things...and the time spent also has a very calming effect (which I could use every now and then).

Coffee cup? Candle holder?  What is it?
Definitely one of a kind...and I love it!
Maja also presents other artists' work in the gallery...if you live in or near Sandefjord, I would recommend taking the scenic drive out to Galleri Flood.  Here's a link to her home page for directions and more information http://www.majaflood.com/galleriflood.html

I LOVE these lights!
New paintings....best seen in person to really appreciate the cool details!
I am so grateful for my experiences at the Gallery....watching Maja work her magic and having the opportunity to be a little creative myself is fantastic!





2 comments:

  1. Yay! You say you're not creative, but you really are! You're a great storyteller, and I love the mug you created... to say nothing of what you've done w your little Norwegian home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! I love telling stories...and I love my funny little mug, too!

    ReplyDelete