Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Vinterferie (Winter Holiday) in Norway

Last week (known also as Week 8) was winter break, or Vinterferie, as it is called here in Norway.  The kids were free from school and many parents take at least a few days off from work.  When I think of winter break, I think of a "break from the winter" and envision a week in a warm climate with my toes in the sand.   Unfortunately, it is really difficult to find a place warm enough this time of year (unless you would like to spend 10 hours in an airplane!).

Looks relaxing, right??
Here in Norway, however, people seem to have a different idea.  Winter break is a time for many Norwegians to go forth and find as much snow as humanly possible.  Many families head to the mountains to their cabin, called a "hytte", to go skiing.  Since I had never done skiing of any kind until last month, this snow-filled skiing holiday idea is all very new to me!  We did consider a ski trip in Austria with some friends, but decided that that may have been a bit ambitious for a family with three novice skiers.

Let's face it...I probably would have broken a leg!
We decided to spend most of the week relaxing (the kids), working around the house (me) and just plain working (the husband).   However, we did spend a couple of days with some friends at their cottage in the mountains.  This offered a great opportunity to experience what vinterferie is all about.  There was so much snow that you could hardly see their "hytte" from the road.

Is anybody home??
It was the most snow I've ever experienced...and I'll be honest...I have never been one of those people that LOVE the snow!   However, I found that with the right winter clothing (and an open mind), it was truly a wonderful getaway for the family.

Amazing views!
Of course, we had to do some cross country skiing during our visit.  It was great weather and the environment was quite peaceful...with the exception of the "thud" sound my body made when hitting the ground at the bottom of every hill.  My attempts at slowing down or stopping were futile and only seemed to make me ski faster down the hills.  I guess I had the wrong idea about "cross country" skiing....I kept thinking that the terrain should be a bit more flat. On a positive note, I am quite certain that my numerous "wipe outs" provided a good laugh for the more experienced skiers (which included pretty much everyone else on the mountain that day).

Luckily our girls generally stayed on their feet and are really enjoying their first season on skis.

C'mon mom...this is so EASY!
The youngest trying out the snow board!
After a fun visit to the mountains, I am beginning to see why the Norwegians LOVE the snow (I do understand that was a very broad generalization).  I can also appreciate what appears to be a much better work/life balance here compared to what exists in the U.S. (I won't elaborate on that...perhaps that topic deserves its own post).

Our first Vinterferie in Norway taught me a few things.   First, a cold and snowy winter holiday CAN be fun.  Second, it is good to know people with a "hytte" as it is a fantastic place to visit, but I'm not sure that I want one of my own.  And finally, I STILL need some sunshine and warm weather!







1 comment:

  1. I like the embracing of winter in your post. I can't believe the snow on that hytte!

    ReplyDelete