Sunday, January 12, 2014

"Boy" vs. "Girl" Legos

So I started writing this post when I was back in the Chicago area around the holidays, after doing some Christmas shopping.   I'm not sure why I just didn't finish writing it three weeks ago, but I guess things came up...things like eating cookies and drinking wine!

You get the idea...
Anyhow, the usual purpose of this blog is to share my thoughts on quirky differences between life in the U.S. compared to what I have experienced in Sweden or Norway (so far).  What follows is a mixed review about Legos...since Legos originated in Denmark and are quite popular in both the U.S. and Scandinavia...I decided that the topic was fair game.

The bottom line is that I am pretty disappointed in the number of Lego sets that appear to be marketed toward girls.  I know I'm not the first person to voice her opinion on this, but I was never directly affected by this mini Lego crisis until I couldn't find what I wanted (Legos comprised a significant portion of my youngest daughter's Christmas list!).  In one of the larger toy stores in the Chicago area, I was a little surprised (and honestly quite irritated) to find two aisles of Star Wars, Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings (etc. etc.) and, within it, a teeny tiny section of Lego friends (the more girlish style).

This was about 5% of the "boy" Legos
Yes, yes...I understand that girls can play with the Hobbit and Superheroes Legos and that boys are more than welcome to play with Lego Disney princesses and Lego friends.  But from what I have seen (which admittedly isn't a lot)...this doesn't happen too often.  

So I opt for the Lego friends series (not that I had much of a choice).  These are okay (and, yes, I bought several) but the themes can seem a bit redundant.

I really wanted the Dolphin Cruiser...but this will have to do
I actually read that the Lego friends collection has been criticized for perpetuating gender stereotypes...I guess I have a simpler view and see Lego friends as merely a small step (maybe a VERY small step in the eyes of some) in the right direction.   I'm happy that my girls enjoy building things (with their hands, not with an iPad) and they aren't complaining.  Maybe I could do my part by steering them toward the Galaxy Squad Legos or Ninja Legos and see what happens.  I did purchase Minecraft Legos for my 8 year old....she LOVES them...and these certainly don't look "girly".

Just for fun, I checked out the Legos available in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway and found pretty much the same thing as I did in the states.  As some view Scandinavia  as more "progressive", I was secretly hoping that I might see more girl-focused Legos in these parts.  Sadly, this was not the case.

Not that Lego is asking my opinion, but perhaps a few pastel colored, light saber wielding superheroes or a Lego city filled with brightly colored buildings could mix things up a little...we will see what they come up with by next Christmas!

Happy New Year!





No comments:

Post a Comment