Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sweden- The First Year

It is hard to fathom, but it has been one year since our family flew across the ocean to begin "Our Swedish Adventure" (the hubby had a six month head start, but we began our time here as a family last April).  As I thought about what to write to commemorate such a momentous event...I pondered a few options- "10 Best Things About Living in Sweden", "10 Worst Things About Living in Sweden", "How to Survive without Target and Trader Joe's", etc.  Instead, in an attempt to not overgeneralize, I will simply provide a few observations from the past twelve months.

Observation 1- Kids really DO learn languages quickly

Yes, yes...we have all heard that before (I had probably even uttered those words myself without knowing a THING about the process). However, I never witnessed this transformation in the U.S., especially not through the language of my own children!   For those of you who don't know, our two girls attend a local Swedish school rather than an International School (which was the original plan).  Their language came slowly at first... learning simple, useful words like "No!" "Look!" and "Stop!" They also enjoyed singing in Swedish.

Pippi Longstocking aka Pippi Långstrump is a favorite
Fast forward one year and both girls are speaking Swedish fluently.   In fact, they have begun speaking Swedish to each other at home (even when no other Swedes are here).  Unfortunately, my process of learning the language has progressed much more slowly...when I recently asked my youngest how my Swedish was coming along, she answered (in Swedish) "Not Good!" Nothing like a little family support!  We had heard that their Swedish might accelerate when they realized that mom and dad could no longer understand them...that appears to be a pretty accurate statement.   It would be great if they could learn one more language while it's this easy!

Observation 2- There is such a thing as bad weather, EVEN with good clothing.

Ok...I said it.  Over the last year, I have heard MANY times that "there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing".  Blah Blah Blah.  Sorry for delivering this shocking news, but sometimes the weather really IS bad.  Like when you don't see the sun for weeks at a time or when it snows in April.  

Bad weather, good clothing
Good weather, good clothing
I will agree the weather is much more "manageable" in proper outer wear.  Additionally, I love that the kids go outside during the school day, every day, regardless of the weather.  However, I still maintain that cold, overcast and spitting rain should be called out...it's straight up bad weather.  As for me, I have commuted to work (yes, on the bike) when it has been raining (and occasionally even when it was snowing).   We survived the dark, damp winter...but that doesn't mean I liked it.  I now have a clearer understanding of why the Swedes really celebrate the arrival of spring!

Observation 3- We can adapt to new food choices

Before moving to Sweden, I had a few stereotypes of what the food would be like...imagine Swedish fish, meatballs and fermented fish in a jar.   Much to my relief, I have found that there is more to it than that.  I won't go into great detail on this one as the food topic may someday have its own special moment on the blog.

When it comes to cooking at home (which we do nearly all of the time), I have been able to make (or slightly modify) almost all of my go-to recipes.  This includes Mexican food which is a family favorite...I also know several Swedes that enjoy "taco Friday" at their homes. When it comes to restaurants, our selection in Lund is TINY when compared to the suburbs of Chicago, but we have found pretty good pizza, a few tasty burgers and sushi good enough to satisfy my occasional cravings!   Also, because it's so cheap, we have to have a meal at Ikea every time we visit.

Don't forget the ice cream cone!
When I sit and think about all the restaurants, and food in general, that I miss from the U.S., I tend to get a bit nostalgic, but it really hasn't been that difficult to adjust.  However, I think it's safe to say that fish in a jar...or in a tube....will never be on my list of favorites.

This is for real...sorry...just can't do it!

Observation 4- No country gets everything right

Yes, I know this one seems pretty obvious, but I think it's natural for people to have pride in their country and to think, perhaps, that they have things all figured out.  Don't worry, I'm not going to weigh in on the differences in child care, taxes, health care, etc. in Sweden versus the U.S.  (that would surely be a quick way to lose friends, in two countries).  However, I WILL say that it has been eye opening to observe and discuss some of our differences.  Having the opportunity to experience life here in Sweden has allowed me to start seeing things from a different perspective.

I like you both
 Observation 5-  Roundabouts can be a GOOD thing!

I have to say that I was nervous about the thought of driving in Sweden because there are LOTS of roundabout (at least in our neck of the woods).   I think I had only experienced these alleged traffic fighting circles a handful of times in the U.S. and I was a bit confused about how, exactly, to navigate them.   Now I feel pretty comfortable with the "rules" (although my husband may not completely agree) and most of the time they really keep the traffic moving.  Even when there seems to be a "huge" backup (a very relative term coming from a Chicago driver), things move along pretty quickly.  

Simple, right?

Observation 6- I am a little bit brave

Who would have thought I would use the word "brave" to describe myself?  Generally speaking, I have never been a big risk taker.   In fact, if you had asked any of my friends for a Top 10 list of THEIR friends who they thought would be most likely to move overseas, I can almost guarantee that my name would NOT be included.  Although I moved two hours south for my college years (pretty crazy, I know), I have lived the rest of my life within a thirty minute drive of where I was born.  So, yes, I think one has to be a bit brave to move away from a great job, wonderful friends and supportive family and into the unknowns of a new country.  That being said, I certainly miss my family and friends, but they will all be there upon our return to the States.

If only I could have that HAIR!
This has been, at times, a scary, exciting, enlightening, frustrating, and happy year...at least for me (hopefully we have made things a little less scary and frustrating for our girls). I don't know exactly how long our Swedish adventure will last, but my goal is to make the most of this experience.  I'm also grateful that a wonderful friend encouraged me to start writing this blog and helped me get started...it is a lot of fun...please feel free to comment or suggest future topics.  Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. We are so happy to have you here and I am very proud of you. And YES you are very brave!
    Me and Brandy has to come over soon, it has been to long and of course we have our amazing girls night out coming up when you gonna put on your heels and doll your self up as never before ;)
    Hugs
    Li

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the other language happened to be Mandarin, or Spanish, that wouldn't be a bad thing! As it is, I think I'm probably with your on the caviar in a tube, but I'd never say never ;)

    ReplyDelete