Monday, September 10, 2012

Our first visitors!

Okay friends...another quick entry...with relatively more photos than text (perfect for some of you, I'm sure!).  After having the whole family together here for about five months now, we had our first visitors arrive last week.   My mom and dad (Nana and Papa to the girls) made the 8 hour flight across the Atlantic!

When I picked them up at the airport in Copenhagen, I was able to stand and watch for them as they left the customs area.  My only regret was not having a little American (or perhaps Swedish) flag to wave at them.

This little guy came prepared to greet his Danish family!
After an overnight flight (with a few cat naps) they were a bit tired.  But they were soooooo excited to see the girls!  So I tried to capitalize on that energy and plotted to keep them awake all afternoon (I thought this would help them battle through the jet lag).  We arrived at our house, where the girls were waiting, and spent some time just relaxing.   Then I dragged them out for a walk to the park and to see the girls' schools.
Push me really high!
The next day the P's accompanied me as I rode the girls to school (thanks to our friend who loaned us a bike!).   Yes,  I forced them to quickly acclimate to some Swedish-ness!
Trying to keep up!
While the girls were in school, the folks and I rode (yes, on bikes) into downtown Lund.   As expected, they were charmed by the old architecture and cobblestone streets.   We had coffee (yes, I'm starting to drink coffee!) then stopped at the outdoor market for some fresh berries. Yum!  I also found out this market continues all year round, with the exception of maybe a few weeks where the weather is really awful.   
A beautiful day in Lund!
I have a feeling that I will learn a few new things about Sweden while acting as my parents' tour guide, especially because my father is very inquisitive.  "How old is Lund?",  "What is this building used for?", "What do the locals eat?" were just a few of his many questions during our brief trip into town!  Luckily I have the Internet to help address his inquiries!

On Saturday, I squished the kids and my parents into the Audi wagon and headed to Malmo (the hubby opted out of this trip as he isn't keen on riding on the roof rack!).   It was a beautiful day, with clouds rolling through only briefly, and the parents were able to see the Turning Torso and one of the girls favorite parks.
Mom, Dad and the girls in Malmö
CeCe showing Papa her climbing ability
After a couple of hours walking around, we headed to a friend's house for a barbecue.   It was a very relaxing first few days with the folks.  Now Mom and Dad are off to Paris and London...returning at the end of the week (Lund may not seem quite as exciting to them after their adventures this week!).
Eiffel tower vs.
Charming city of Lund?
My money is on Lund....but only because two of their grand kids live here!

1 comment:

  1. Grand kids vs City of Lights... Hmmm that's tough one...

    ReplyDelete