Thursday, August 9, 2012

Working Girl?

I wasn't really going to advertise that I had started looking for a job here in Sweden until something  funny happened (related to the job search) which I have to share.  But you are going to have to wait....or skip to the end....to hear about it.  In the crazy six months while the hubby and I were living in different countries, I yearned for some time off, a break from all of the craziness!  Working, packing, trying to sell the house...and oh yeah, and making sure the girls were fed, clothed, etc....was enough to put me over the edge at times.   So the thought of being unemployed while enjoying a relaxing summer was quite appealing.
I could get used to a summer at the beach!
However, after arriving in Sweden and unpacking, organizing, and learning my way around town (at least a little bit), I was becoming a bit anxious.  Partly because I'm used to working and it feels weird not to be going to work every day....being productive....bringing home a paycheck.  The other reason is there aren't many people around during the day to keep me company, because EVERYBODY WORKS in Sweden.  OK, maybe not everybody...but most people.  So sadly there aren't just a bunch of stay at home moms (or dads...I don't want to be sexist) anxiously awaiting the opportunity to have coffee or lunch with me.   And maybe the fact that this has been a crappy, rainy summer (not conducive to lounging at the beach) had added to my restlessness...just maybe.
Work would be a vacation from days like this!!
So I started the job search.  I asked for suggestions on updating my CV (that's what they call it here) to make it more appealing to the local audience, then looked around for places to send it.  It didn't take long to encounter a couple of problems with my quest for employment (and it's not that I'm super picky...).  The first is that I started putting the feelers out several weeks ago....smack dab in the middle of summer.  I figured it would be a little slow with people taking vacation, but I was told that Sweden is actually "asleep" for about six weeks in July and August.  Good to know, I guess.  I decided to continue searching for interesting jobs and posting my CV wherever I could, so that my information would be ready and waiting for the right people (when they finally got back to work!).  Needless to say, I have not yet been fielding a bevy of emails or phone calls, but I remain optimistic.

Keeping my eyes open for a sign like this!
The other issue (you might have guessed this would come up) is that I don't speak Swedish.  There are some international companies in the area (and I have been told that I should be able to find work as an English speaker), but most of the job search websites are still written in Swedish.  Luckily, a co-worker of the hubby's and someone I consider a friend...Cecilia....has helped me to translate and post my CV on several sites.  She even helped me register with Arbetsförmedlingen.  What???   Arbetsförmedlingen is a Swedish employment office (with a name that's nearly impossible to pronounce).   It's one more place to post your information and search for jobs.  They also can provide some additional services and job coaching, but are more concerned with helping the out-of-work Swedes (as they are the ones collecting unemployment benefits).   You can imagine how frustrating it can be when you arrive at their website and are greeted with this...

Ny på Arbetsförmedlingen?

Titta på introduktionsfilmen för dig som är ny hos oss. Filmen finns på olika språk och du kan chatta med en arbetsförmedlare efter filmen.
Anytime I feel like I'm starting to recognize more Swedish words...I end up seeing stuff like that and return to feeling totally clueless!  Google Translate (and Cecilia) have really helped keep me sane through this process.

For those of you who were patient....and read about all my woes associated with job searching....thank you very much.  For those of you who skipped all the way down here just to read something funny....shame on you!   Sooooo, I get a letter in the mail from Arbetsförmedlingen (written in Swedish, of course).  I figured it was a note reminding me of some job verification they wanted.  I look more closely (then Google translate the first line) and it says "A job vacancy that may suit you"....Cool, I think to myself.   Then I flip the page and see "Homepartykonsulent" (and yes, that's all one word).  What?  I didn't have to be a Swedish genius to see the "homeparty" part of that.  Are you kidding me?  They are suggesting I become the Swedish Avon lady?  Sell tupperware or jewelry to my five friends?
My new boss??
Uh.....no.   The home party "consultant" part was right on...the product line, however, came as a bit of a surprise.  When I went to the website to see what they wanted me to peddle at home parties, I found this:

Himmelriket Ltd is the largest home party company in the erotic industry. Our range consists of erotic toys, tools, oils, games and more

Interesting... Not exactly what I was expecting.  Nonetheless, I quickly submitted my application and am anxiously awaiting a call to set up an interview.  
Please call!


3 comments:

  1. im almost peeing in pants from laughing, love it. Funny! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny ;o)))
    sorry.... I'm still laughing ;o)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I must say, however, I have heard that "erotic aids" are the fastest growing sector in the Home Party market!

    ReplyDelete