Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Feeling at home...at the gym

Most of my friends know that I am usually a "regular" at the gym.  It's a stress reducer and, next to home improvement projects, it may be my only current hobby (perhaps neither of these are "real" hobbies, but try not to judge!).  Anyway, I joined a local gym soon after moving here...and noticed a couple of interesting things about it as compared to my gym in the states.

One of the first things I noticed when I walked in to TEAM Treningssenter (that's Training Center for those of you requiring a translation) is that there is place for your "outdoor" shoes (I have found that in Norway and Sweden most people take their shoes off in the house as well).  What a simple way to keep all of the dirt, snow, and other gross stuff from being tracked inside.  Yes, I understand that some folks in the U.S. use designated "gym shoes", but I'm not sure I have ever seen someone remove their shoes at the door!

In the U.S. would we worry about our shoes being stolen??
On my first visit, I was asked by one of the instructors to join her step class.  I didn't understand much Norwegian...and it had been quite a while since I'd taken a group exercise class...but I gave it a try.  Luckily it went reasonably well, and I don't think I made a complete fool of myself.  I was also introduced to a few people in the class.  I wouldn't say the Norwegians are ridiculously outgoing, but most are quite friendly if you make the first move.

I quickly observed that several of the "regulars" would sit, chat and drink coffee after their workouts.  It wasn't too long after I joined TEAM that I began to linger post-workout in the hopes of being invited to take a seat.  I know that sounds a bit pathetic, but keep in mind I had spent the first several weeks in Norway painting our basement...with zero social interaction.  Soon it was suggested that I sit and have a cup of coffee (that was sooooo nice!).   To be honest, I think my first "true" friend was Ida...the gym manager's dog.   She didn't seem to mind that I spoke very poor Norwegian!

Just give me attention and I will let you speak English...

Slowly but surely, I became more comfortable hanging out and practicing a bit of Norwegian.  I have noticed that the comfort level with speaking English varies quite a bit...from those who will gladly speak English with me to those who initially avoided me like the plague in fear of speaking English (and there are many in between).  I still contend that people quickly become more comfortable speaking English when they realize that their English is always (ALWAYS) better than my Norwegian!

Looks like there is an open seat for me!
I have to say that after about five months here, I really feel like part of the morning crew.  A few of the regulars even allowed me to snap their photos...

My favorite (almost) twins

99...100!  Wow- you are strong!

One thing I failed to mention, which may partly explain why I have been "accepted" at the gym, is that I have (on several occasions) brought in cake, cookies, etc. for my fellow coffee drinkers.  Yes, I know it seems a bit strange to bring cookies to the gym, but everything in moderation, right??   It has been suggested that I am trying to "buy" new friends with baked goods...and maybe that's not too far from the truth.

It's hard to resist a post-workout cookie!

Either way, I have to say it has been a long time since I've enjoyed the social aspect of the gym nearly as much as my actual workouts.  Thanks to the folks at Team Treningssenter (you know who you are) for taking in the cookie baking, barely Norwegian speaking American!




No comments:

Post a Comment